Probably the best Political test to show where your beliefs align, is the political compass test. https://www.politicalcompass.org/test
The political compass breaks politics down on two areas, economics and social beliefs.
On economics it is broken down as Left and Right.
1.Someone preferring more regulation on businesses and a social safety net, which would be someone who scores a 0 to -2 prefers regulations and a welfare state with basic labor laws, and slight progressive tax, (0,10,20,40,45), capital gains tax (10-20 percent).
2. scoring, -3 to -5 is someone who prefers everything in one as well as public control/government control of certain parts of the economy (such as public education, basic income and universal health care) while retaining a capitalist system. A high tax rate as well (0%, 31%, 51%, 56%) capital gains tax of 30 Percent, Corporate tax of 22-40 percent
3. Someone scoring -6 to -10 wants a collectivized economy, and is a anti capitalist. These ideas can vary from worker control of workplaces, the elimination of profit motive and favor of a needs based economy. These ideas also vary from authoritarian and libertarian left. As Libertarian left wants a voluntary regional collective needs based economy, Authoritarian left wants a state planned economy, which will have a extreme high tax (99-100). However taxation in a profitless society will be nonexistent because there is nothing to individually own, therefore there is nothing to take.
1.1 to 3 is a Keynesian capitalist state that is regulated and has interference when necessary, this can include weak labor laws such as minimum wage, however it is usually anti union. This includes protectionist trade policies when necessary and a weak social safety net. As well as a minor “progressive” tax with lower brackets (0,10%,15%, 25%, 28%,33%,35%,39.6%)
2. 4 to 6 this area would support ideas of including the defunding and cut of the social safety net, deregulation of business, low taxes and tax cuts. Their tax brackets would look more like (15%,28%,31%) and no capital gains taxes. However this includes corporate welfare and privatizing many services of government.
3. 7 to 10 is the concept of “zero” government intervention in the economy, as the free market will work out on its own. This includes concepts of abolishing the minimum wage, abolishing the social safety net, abolishing welfare, and privatizing all government programs. This also includes the abolishing all labor laws, and including busting unions or making them illegal. This also favors total deregulation of the economy. The tax rate is preferred to be as little as possible, which include the concepts of a flat tax, (10 percent for everyone) or no taxes at all.
On social issues it is broken down Authoritarian, (someone who values control over freedom) and Libertarian (someone who values freedom over control)
- 1-4 Stability is highly valued, this includes traditional morals and beliefs for society to be enforced through means of laws and punishment. This can include patriotism but skepticism of authority. This includes the value of punishment over rehabilitation, and use of force in use of police. This area of beliefs also usually include drug laws.
2. 5-7 Order is the highest value in society. High values of social identity, including extreme national pride. Strict laws are put in place to make sure society behaves a certain way. May include policies that favor certain groups of people over one another to achieve order. Rejection of ideas such as gay marriage, abortion, birth control. Beliefs toward a single Religion or belief system is held up in a high place and should be protected. Free speech and privacy can be curbed in ways of national security. Nation or authority is above individual liberty. Militarism is used to spread the countries beliefs.
3. 8-10 a Totalitarian state, usual includes a single party system. There is zero freedom for citizens. With a strong preference put into law for a group of people over another. National pride is extreme to levels of jingoism. Laws are written and strictly enforced by the government. The government of the one party system controls every aspect of citizens life. Supports high Surveillance of all citizens by any means necessary. Totalitarians oppose citizens criticizing them, and protesting. They also use ideas such as total war, where the entire population of the country will make sacrifices for the cause of the nation. Extreme force is used and includes a large amount of money spent on military and police.
1.-1 to -3 a bill of rights protected by the state. Individual freedom is preferred. Slight Legalization of marijuana and soft drugs. Freedom of speech and religion protected but can be curved. Citizens civil liberties are protected but can be curved. Citizens allowed to make some of their choices but the state will intervene when necessary.
2.-4 to -6 civil liberties are held high as well as individual freedom. Democracy is preferred system. The state’s police and military are limited. Rehabilitation is preferred over prisons, prisons still exist. Legalization of all drugs. Secular government and little to no restrictions on speech. The force of government is eliminated as much as possible while maintaining a government.Citizens allowed to make most of their own choices.
3.-7 to – 10 a stateless society controlled by the people made of voluntary non hierarchical groups. Abolishment of prisons, punishment, police, and police. Total freedom from authority and force. Citizens allowed to make all of their own choices
There are 6 categories which these results are based on:
1.How you see the country and the world (Foreign Policy)
3.Personal Social Values
4.Views on Society (Domestic Policy)
6.Sex and Sexuality in society
These six categories are used to break up the compass into 4 categories
All of these other ideologies will be discussed at a further point. As Well as my results on the test.